“Be Green” is one of the 6 Pillars of Modo Yoga and we take it very seriously. Every Modo Yoga studio is built and managed in an eco-friendly way so that we can conserve as much energy as possible and contribute to a greener, more sustainable planet. Studio owners are encouraged to be creative in their green efforts, but are specifically asked to use:
- VOC free paints
- recycled or sustainable flooring
- minimal materials where possible
- energy efficient radiant panel heating
- energy efficient appliances
- low-flow toilets/showers/faucets
- green cleaning products
- to purchase green energy, such as Bullfrog power, as a way to offset all of the power they use, creating a greener electrical grid.
Beyond that, most studios have incorporated even more eco-friendly elements in an effort to completely “green” their space. For example, at Modo Yoga Bloor West every piece of furniture and every door is made of reclaimed wood, and their front desk is made from old doors. At Modo Yoga St. Catharines they installed bike racks outside the studio to encourage students to cycle to class. In Burnaby the studio walls are made out of hemp, and in the summer they grow a community garden for students to grow and harvest their own food. And out in East Vancouver they’ve built their studio with tons of south-facing windows to generate natural heat and light. We are always looking for new ways to be green, so if you have any ideas on how we can be even more creative we'd love to hear them!